Tuesday, February 7, 2012



 Reflexive cycle
Inventory Self: I believe that my nonverbal behaviors can be very expressive, I would think that i come off as very independent, I feel that at times my nonverbal behaviors can be misread as a very flirtatious message when I mean for them to be friendly and outgoing. On a positive note I have been a dancer in many productions, companies and teams. Doing this I have had to be able to express many different moods and messages to crowds confidently and correctly through my behaviors, such as body movement and facial expressions. Negatively on that note I can be misread because of my ability to have a stage presence sometimes others can see this as confidence but Im not always feeling the confidence I let others see.
Change Self:
 I decided that to change myself as to not be decoded incorrectly I needed to make sure as to not come off to my peers as flirtatious and watch how I encode messages through behaviors such as hugging, smiles/facial expression, touch and specific eye-contact.

Inventory others:
 When observing how others reacted covertly to my flirtatious behaviors I purposefully used them on male friends that I felt I could get somesort of reaction back. When doing so I found that they became more flirtatious with me back, smiling, laughing, putting their arm around me, and making steady eye contact.
Overtly observing I asked close guy friends that I had either been specifically flirting with for this and ones that I am close with and see on a daily basis. They all came to the same conclusion stating that I was a very flirtatious girl but also that my confidence was a huge role in the non verbal behaviors I had done previously. My shoulders back and my ability to not be afraid or timid when walking in a room affected the way others saw me and became an attraction to them to want to flirt back with me

Transact with others:
As said in my previous step when encoding and decoding messages nonverbally with male friends and using conversation, they had responded to my nonverbal confidence as well as my flirtatious behaviors such as touch and facial expressions similar to batting my eyes, but they were complimented with verbal messages such as laughing, creating jokes, complementing one another as well as easy conversation.

Reflect, Access and Re-inventory self:
            I think that this makes me more aware of how my behaviors nonverbally and verbal messages can be taken the wrong way but also that its not always a bad thing. Letting others believe in self confidence can help in many situations and that flirtatious gestures and touch if used correctly are important in human communication and in finding someone that relates to you in a sense of attraction and significant others



1 Comments:

At February 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Professor Bock said...

Emily -- this post does go through the reflexive cycle and makes nice use of some of the vocabulary we've been learning. Even though the cycle is a bit of a list, I would suggest writing it more as a narrative essay with an intro and conclusion, and transitions -- this reads like a set of bullet points.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home